The Best Mulled Wine Recipe in The World.
Passed onto me by a dear friend, here's what I think is the Best Mulled Wine Recipe in The World. But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
Step 1: Make a mulled wine syrup
Make plenty of this in advance, it will last for weeks, or months.
- 9 ounces of golden caster sugar (about 255 grams)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 15 juniper berries
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 x Star Anise
- Teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (or other orange brandy liqueur, e.g. Triple Sec)
- 750 ml water
Take off the heat and allow to cool with the lid on. Once cooled store in clean jam jars or Kilner jars.
Step 2: Making the mulled wine
- Choose your wine. Don't spend a fortune on it, but don't go for rubbish either. About a tenner, and choose a full bodied wine like a Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Pour about 300ml of syrup for each bottle of red wine (750ml) into a saucepan with three slices of orange.
- Heat up the wine & syrup mixture gently over a low heat - if you do it too fast you’ll burn off all the booze.
- Optional, garnish with a cinnamon stick, star anise, and an orange slice with cloves.
Looking for wine gifts?
Then look no further. We have a super range of Christmas Wine Gifts, Wine Hampers or Wine Vouchers available.