Wines of The Year at The Allotment Wine Co.
Here we have it, the top ten wines of 2022, according to our wonderful customers. "Vox Populi, Vox Dei", as a famous narcissist recently said.
A brief commentary, if I may. The Urbina was one of those exceptional, rare finds I stumblied across when talking through the list of one of The Allotment's importer partners. It was almost an exclusive, as it hadn't been previously picked up. It's all too rare to find a quality wine with this amount of age on it, without paying a small fortune. And this was both good, and really, really well priced.
Further down the list, the Chocolate Block Red is gaining a cult-like following in Ireland, perhaps because it could be one of Bono's favourite wines? Or, maybe, because it's just really, really good.
Nothing makes me happier than to see one of my favourite wines in the top ten, the Von Winning Win Win Riesling. Is it an inflection point for Riesling, finally? Maybe.
Without further ado, here's the list.
- Urbina, Rioja Reserva Especial 1998
- Champagne Bollinger, Special Cuvée
- Candido La Carta Salice Salentino Riserva
- Domaine la Colombette, Sauvignon
- Boekenhoutskloof 'The Chocolate Block' Red
- Louis Latour, Chablis
- Von Winning Win Win Riesling
- Borgo del Tiglio, Chardonnay 2020
- Protos, Rueda, Verdejo
- Ramon Bilbao, Rioja Crianza